Friday, August 24, 2012

Athlete of the week, other notes

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I wanted to make sure to link our Athlete of the Week story – this one on Peters Township's Tom Nettles – seeing as it's the first one of the year.

This is also a reminder to submit nominations. Please, if you read this blog and know of someone doing something great – preferably, in this case anyway, within the confines of a high school sport –shoot me an e-mail and let me know.

The best way to draw attention on someone you know is to submit a nomination.

If you ever have suggestions on how you'd like these done, let me know via e-mail or by commenting on this blog. I know I'm hoping to incorporate some video as we move along this school.

In other news, I had hoped to head down to the Carmichaels-Waynesburg football scrimmage tonight, but I wound up putting together a high school notebook for tomorrow's paper. Make sure you read it.

I had wanted to see Carmichaels quarterback Brandon Lawless, as well as running back/linebacker Brennen McMinn. Perhaps Week 2 vs. Frazier or Week 3 at Beth-Center; the Tri-County title, with Monessen in the Class A Black Hills, should go to one of those three teams. Also wanted to meet Russ Moore, who’s back for a second stint at Waynesburg.

Lastly, thought I'd tease the two weekly features I hope to start next week:

>>From Dugie's Desk ... the sneak peak at our marching orders for Friday night, handed down by sports editor Chris Dugan.

>>View from the Outside … when Washington/Greene teams play opponents from Allegheny or Westmoreland counties, I hope to talk with a writer/friend who covers that team. I know next week I will be covering Washington at Greensburg Central Catholic. Thinking I will track down either Paul Schofield or Dave Mackall, who cover that area for the Tribune-Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment