Thursday, October 11, 2012

Recruiting update: Wash High's Shai McKenzie

I talked to Wash High RB Shai McKenzie last night for Friday's Game of the Week preview story on the Prexies' trip to Mount Pleasant -- essentially the battle for an outright Class AA Interstate Conference title or a three-way tie at the top that also involves Jeannette.

Talked to McKenzie a little bit about his recruiting process, and I thought I would share some of that here. So far it looks like this.

>>Offers in-hand include Pitt, Youngstown State, Toledo, Purdue and Duke, the last one coming about an hour after I talked to McKenzie.

>>Other schools -- bigger and better ones -- have been showing more interest of late, too. That group includes Georgia Tech, Alabama, Florida and Oregon. All of those schools have sent McKenzie messages on Facebook, which is a fairly common recruiting practice these days.

Seems like this thing just keeps gaining more and more steam. And I get the feeling that McKenzie is in no hurry whatsoever to make a decision.

It will be interesting to see what happens with McKenzie Friday night. I went back and looked through his week-to-week stats and found that he's only carried the ball more than 20 times once: 24 for 102 yards and two touchdowns during an 18-15 win over Jeannette in Week 5.

Seems to me that Mount Pleasant, which lost to Jeannette, 28-27, last week after a failed two-point conversion attempt in double-overtime, would be the ideal candidate for a rather large dose of McKenzie.

Prexies coach Mike Bosnic, who's not exactly known for his juicy, attention-grabbing quotes, told me this when I asked whether this could be the week that McKenzie, who has 1,026 yards and 17 touchdowns this season, carries an extra heavy load.

“It could be,” Bosnic said. “It just depends on how the game goes. There are a lot of factors that go into that. Definitely every week he’s ready to carry it as many times as I need him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment