Wednesday, December 26, 2012

More on Morgan's milestone

This was perhaps the easiest Athlete of the Week selection since I've been here.

You can read about Carmichaels senior Morgan Berardi in Thursday's Observer-Reporter, after Berardi notched her 1,000th-career point during last Friday's 48-35 home win over Charleroi.

Berardi is the sixth Carmichaels girls basketball player to reach 1,000, joining a group that includes: Donna Pascuzzo (1980), Angie Tekavic (1982), Abby McMinn (2001), Megan Stuvek (2007) and Jordan Duke (2009).

But while I wrote mostly about Berardi's scoring ability, she's quite the passer, too. With 439 career assists, Berardi needs just 10 more to break the program record -- piece of cake, considering she's averaging seven of 'em per game.

I asked Berardi to describe herself as a player, and it's not hard to tell who the Mikes trust with the basketball in key situations.

"Everyone freaks out if I don't have the ball," Berardi said. "Caroline (Cree) can handle the ball pretty well, too, but other girls, if they get ball, they're always like, 'Where's Morgan at?' I guess I'm the ball-handler. I try to feed the ball inside to Amanda Brown, who's really good inside. I like passing the ball."

According to Mikes coach Jim Lane, Berardi could also reach as high as No. 2 on the all-time scoring list if she keeps up her current pace of 20.1 points per game.

There was another interesting quote from Berardi that I couldn't quite fit in there. I asked her what her emotions were like after getting her 1,000th point -- exciting, yes, but Berardi was trying to focus on the game ... seriously.

"It was definitely really exciting," Berardi said. "I was trying not to think about it a lot; I was just trying to play the game. But it was exciting when I got it. I think my teammates were more excited than I was."

No comments:

Post a Comment