Thursday, January 24, 2013

Tough break for Recktenwald

Make sure you read the latest installment of Feature Friday, this one on Peters Township senior Trevor Recktenwald, who's tearing up the PIHL.

One interesting nugget that I wasn't able to get in there has to do with an all-star game Recktenwald was supposed to play alongside, and against, a few Pittsburgh Penguins, the Tomahawks Charity Classic at Cambria County War Memorial on Jan. 9.

The game was to feature around eight or 10 members of the Penguins, as well as several members of the Johnstown Tomahawks. Recktenwald, who has signed a tender with the Tomahawks, was invited through the Tomahawks and his travel team, the Pittsburgh Viper Stars.

Only it never happened.

Recktenwald was supposed to be on a team with Ben Lovejoy, Brooks Orpik, Matt Cooke, Craig Adams, Tyler Kennedy and Marc-Andre Fleury. But the NHL labor dispute was settled the Sunday before, and the game was bagged.

I asked Recktenwald whether he was upset, whether he wished the NHL would've waited another week.

"I knew there wasn’t anything I could do to change it," Recktenwald said. "I was a little upset, just because it would have been a really cool experience. But I understood the reasons why. You kind of just have to move on from it. It’s something you can’t control."

It's a mature stance from a mature kid.

Recktenwald, as you will read, is Peters Township's captain. I asked him whether he's more of a vocal leader or one who would rather lead by example.

"I think I’m a little bit of both," Recktenwald said. "If someone does something, and I think they maybe should be doing something else, I’m not afraid to tell them and explain to them a different way. Also I try to lead by example by going out there and making plays and putting the puck in the net, making sure I’m playing a good defensive game."

No comments:

Post a Comment