Friday, February 8, 2013

A few extras from Canon-Mac's win

Ironically enough, the loss that knocked Peters Township out of the playoffs was not a nail-biter.

The Indians lost to Canon-McMillan, 62-49, tonight, one of the few double-digit defeats Peters Township has endured.
Of Peters Township's 13 losses, nine have come by single digits, an average of 9.9 per contest.

"At some point, when you lose so many close games, the wheels are going to fall off," Peters Township coach Gary Goga said. "At some point you have to step up and get a win. Just didn't happen. For whatever reason, just didn't happen."

I wrote about Canon-McMillan's players, especially Brett Haney, champing at the bit to get this one started after the junior varsity game and Senior Night delayed the start by 40 minutes.

Had a fairly interesting -- and comical -- exchange with Canon-McMillan coach Rick Bell about this after the game when I asked him whether he worried whether the delay would affect his players. Remember, that Bell used to coach at Peters Township.

"When I got the Peters job, I was 22," Bell explained. "I was the youngest coach in the state of Pennsylvania at the time. I used to worry about stuff like that when I was 22. One thing you learn is that you control what you can control. What was I going to do? Run over and start ripping the balloons down?"

Being a reporter writing on deadline, I told him I wouldn't have minded. Bell laughed and correctly informed me that other may not have been so pleased. (No, Canon-Mac fans I wouldn't endorse this; it was simply a joke.)

"The kids deserve what they got," Bell said, talking about the Senior Night introductions and festivities. "I just tried to keep the kids loose."

Looks like it worked.

The loss puts Canon-McMillan in the playoffs with the No. 4 seed in Section 4-AAAA.

"It was wild," said Seth Petras, who had 12 points to complement Haney's game-high 26. "It was the greatest way to end Senior Night ever."

No comments:

Post a Comment