Saturday, March 2, 2013

Extra swimming note

Hope you guys enjoyed reading about swimming as much as I enjoyed covering it. Really have developed a love and appreciation for the sport. Even hit the pool at the Cameron Wellness Center earlier today ... you know, once I finally got the chance.

Here are my two stories: Day 1 and Day 2.

One performance that kind of got lost in the shuffle was that of Peters Township's Kentucky-bound senior, Kyle Higgins.

Higgins is one of the WPIAL's best, but he was coming off an illness and wasn't at his best. When I talked to him Thursday, he admitted to not tapering -- heck, a few days ago he was barely breathing or eating. The PIAA meet, both Higgins and Peters Township coach Tom Fletcher told me, was going to be bigger than these two days.

Should definitely be someone to keep an eye on.

"Kyle's been sick," Fletcher said Friday. "He didn't shave. He looked so much better (Friday) than he did (Thursday). He's starting to get some color back in his skin. We've been focused on states all year. I know he's happy with what he did."

Higgins qualified as part of Peters Township's second-place 200-yard medley relay team. He also made it in the 100 fly.

"He did what he needed to do, and now I think he's ready to have a great meet at states," Fletcher added.

No comments:

Post a Comment