Saturday, March 23, 2013

More on McGuffey's new hoops coach

Mike Fatigante always knew he wanted to coach high school basketball.

Sure, three years as Mark Christner's assistant at Waynesburg University were helpful. Taught Fatigante, a former hooper at Mt. Union College, quite a bit, too. But when the McGuffey boys basketball job came open, Fatigante couldn't resist.

"I knew that I always wanted to coach at the high school level," Fatigante told me by phone on Saturday night. "(Yellow Jackets head coach) Mark Christner gave me a chance to coach in college, but I knew I wanted to be back in high school. Having the opportunity to coach at the school where you teach is a great opportunity, and I'm excited."

Fatigante was hired Thursday night. He's been a health and physical education teacher at McGuffey for the past four years -- along with stints as an assistant football and baseball coach -- and thinks that familiarity will be helpful.

"I'm pretty familiar with all the guys," Fatigante said. "Between football, baseball and having them in class, I pretty much known all of them. I think that's a little bit of an advantage for me."

After graduating from Avonworth High School in 2004 and played point guard at Mt. Union, where he played four years of hoops and three years of baseball. He graduated from Mt. Union in 2008 and started at McGuffey a year later.

The 27-year-old Fatigante doesn't have a wife or kids and resides in Canonsburg. He spent the past three years as an assistant baseball coach but won't be back in the dugout this spring. He will, however, stick with football come fall.

Fatigante said he doesn't plan to change too much from what Greg Papson did, professing a great amount of respect for his predecessor.

"Greg did a great job during the time that he was here," Fatigante said. "He brought the program along. We want to continue improving. I'm going to stress to the guys that focusing on the little things is really important. All of those things add up to success."

I asked Fatigante what types of things he'll pull from his experience at Waynesburg. 

"He did a wonderful job of getting guys to buy into what we were trying to do," Fatigante said. "I believe the season before we got there they had one or two wins and had been down for some time.

"He did a great job of getting guys to play together. He did a great job of getting that program moving in the right direction. Each year we got better. There's no doubt in my mind we will continue to improve."

No comments:

Post a Comment