Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Papson steps down at McGuffey

Got a chance this afternoon to chat with Greg Papson, who resigned last month as head coach of the McGuffey boys basketball team. 

Papson had been with the program for five years, his second stint with the Highlanders after also coaching at McGuffey from 2002-04. In between, Papson was an assistant at Canon-McMillan.

Papson said the reason for his resignation was simple: family.

"I was married to the program," Papson said. "I have a 5-year-old and a 2-year-old. It became tough to juggle. I have to be a father first, as opposed to a coach. McGuffey is a great place; it's been great to me. It's going to be hard to not be associated with the school."

Papson, who does not teach at the school, said he expects to coach again soon -- only as an assistant.

"I'm not done coaching," Papson said. "Probably as an assistant for the time being, so I can see my kids more. But for now, I want to be a father and a husband."

Papson had nothing but glowing things to say about McGuffey, the same district where his wife teaches.

"I really love McGuffey," Papson said. "It's a great place to work."

McGuffey finished 9-13 overall, 2-10 in Section 5-AAA, arguably the WPIAL's toughest with Montour, the WPIAL Class AAA champion, and Chartiers Valley, the runner-up.

Stay tuned for news on Papson's replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment