Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Lynch powers past Patel in Section 1-AA

Eighty Four's Matt Lynch made it a two-for-two day for area tennis players with his 6-2, 7-6 (2) win over Bargo Patel of Greensburg Central Catholic in the WPIAL Section 1-AA singles tournament finals yesterday at Mt. Pleasant High School.

His win comes after Peters Township's Mitch Kreider topped teammate Brendan Dollard 6-2, 6-2.

"A win is a win," Lynch said by phone Tuesday evening. "The second set got a little close there at the end. He was really consistent. I think I got caught up in his game a little bit. No player wants to admit that -- and it was only in my mind -- but I don't think I was playing as hard as I was in the first set."

The win pushes Lynch through to the WPIAL Class AA singles tournament, which starts Monday, site still to be determined. The draw for the event -- both Class AA and Class AAA -- will be released Thursday.

It's also Lynch's second consecutive section title.

"It feels good. I don't know," said Lynch, when asked to pick which one meant more. "I would have to say this one. Trying to repeat something, this time as the No. 1 seed, I would say this means more."

Lynch said that his movement -- getting to balls -- was better than he expected during the two-day event. Ditto for his forehand and serve.

Patel's play in the second set, however, rattled Lynch ... before he stormed out to a 6-0 lead in the tiebreaker to seal it.

"He started getting more balls back, and it threw me off a little bit," Lynch said. "I was in control the whole match up until that point. I don't know f the momentum changed or what. He came out 2-0, and I had to regroup a bit."

No comments:

Post a Comment