Monday, April 15, 2013

Reflections on today

Monday's softball game between Burgettstown and Sto-Rox isn't one that I'm going to forget any time soon.

For several reasons.

First and foremost, because of the Boston Marathon tragedy. Obviously that takes precedence to anything said here -- as I write this, I can't wait to get home to my wife and two dogs, hug them and tell all three that I love them -- and thoughts are prayers are with the victims and their families. So, so sad.

But softball was played today -- thankfully, if you ask me.

On my way to the game today, completely unaware of any Boston events, I was diverted from Route 50 because of a downed power line and what looked to be a whole heap of chaos up ahead. Maybe an accident, maybe construction. Couldn't really see, though the telephone pole portended the former.

I thought this was going to be the worst part of my day, the fact that I had to drive an extra 20 minutes and was nearly late to Burgettstown. Really stupid looking back on it.

Then, to the game, and Sto-Rox began to make this thing look like a laugher, scoring seven times in the second inning to take an 8-2 lead. Most teams would crumble. The Blue Devils did not.

Out of nowhere, they climbed back and tied it, with Brenna Butts eventually driving in the go-ahead run. Burgettstown would not trail again.

"It felt good," Butts said of her single.

No kidding. As I wrote for Tuesday's paper, Butts was benched Monday for the first time all season. The cause? "Mental mistakes that I kept making," Butts told me. "Little ground balls, overthrows. But I need to relax."

Good luck with that. Burgettstown celebrated like it was the program's biggest win in years -- which, come to think of it, it probably was.


And at the center of it was a kid who pinch hit in the middle of the game, then stuck around long enough to drive in a run that she won't soon forget.

"Brenna is a really good kid, but she has kind of struggled at times this year," Burgettstown coach Mark Deer said of his senior second baseman. "We didn't start her today, but we put her in as a sub. She did a tremendous job. She battled in there and got a very big hit for us."

No comments:

Post a Comment