Monday, August 26, 2013

PT's Parker enjoying return

As someone who lost his junior football season to a back injury, I can identify with Peters Township goalkeeper Megan Parker, who's returning from a torn ACL injury that wiped out her junior soccer season.

"It feels awesome," Parker responded when I asked her yesterday afternoon what it felt like to be back. "Coming back with this team ... I love these girls so much."

Thinking back on my own experience, I asked Parker whether she tried to avoid taking the little things for granted, whether even a sprint -- in the past a gigantic pain -- became fun again. Parker smiled.

"You appreciate something when you can't do it," Parker said. "I would rather be running than not. It feels very good to be able to be running and doing those things again."

I have a story in Tuesday's paper about the young group that will carry Peters Township after several losses: nine seniors, including Olivia Roberson, now at Duquesne, and senior Veronica Latsko, who's out for the year with a torn ACL.

Parker figures to be one of those after she moves back into goal and Carly Johns, the keeper as Peters Township won its third consecutive PIAA Class AAA title, moves back to defend. Check out Katie Roupe's photo of Parker from Monday's practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment